History of EGG

Rules & Regs, new member intros, membership cards, EGG merchandise, sponsors, etc...

Postby Wayfinder on Wed Mar 12, 2008 5:35 am

Lexicographer wrote:I sort of intended "Revision" to be an allusion to first year maths. >.>

That explains why I couldn't remember it.
"It's a boot," says Cheryl, "in space."
The robot lions charge together. They form a giant robot. This is the glorious stock footage that is Voltron.
Vladimir rubs at his chin. There is the sparkling in his mind again. "We should add lasers."
"Heat-seeking lasers!"
"They laughed at us in engineering class," says Vladimir. "But now the engineering department is in ruins - we may build as we see fit."
Thunder crashes all around them.
Wayfinder
Tall, Dark and Handsome

Location: Ultra Secret Hidden Underground Space Station Laboratory In Space
Medals: 35
Advocate (1) Matériel Assistance (1) President (2) Lieutenant (1) Watchful Eye (1)
Builder (1) We Can Rebuild It (1) Assembler (1) Dissembler (1) Consoler (1)

Postby Op7imus_Prim3 on Mon Mar 17, 2008 9:54 am

Oh boy, the whole history of EGG. This will be a challenge to write up, but as I feel in a writing mood I'll attempt to do it.

I'll have to go crawling back through the forum archives (some of which exist only now as a database backup) but it will be done.

There are many epic stories to tell, much scandal (such as the Altech Piking Bastards tale) and loads of intrigue.

I guess I'll have to write this in chapters, starting way back in 2003 when we formed. I can't remember the exact date, but I think it was around August.

This will be fun...
"Your Mum's Seven!"
Op7imus_Prim3
Super Mega Powerup SPAM®

Medals: 1
Primordial (1)

Postby Jayzilla on Mon Mar 17, 2008 7:26 pm

They held a meeting, the first AGM.
Present at this meeting where myself, Migs, Rjay, Chuggy, Stramit, and many others who's faces sadly the march of time has worn away.

Chuggy is in Cali now, to be closer to magical Blizzard and its WoW servers
Jayzilla
Pope of Corruption

IRC Lurker (1)

Postby Lexicographer on Mon Mar 17, 2008 7:31 pm

I was wondering what happened to Chuggy! Why is she there anyway, besides WoW?
"Tu es Petrus, et super hanc petram aedificabo ecclesiam meam"
Lexicographer
Guild Chaplain

Postby Mandy Rin on Mon Mar 17, 2008 9:02 pm

Do you need a reason besides WoW?
Mandy Rin
SPAM® Oven Roasted Turkey

Location: In the corner, watching you and judging you like a creepy little gnome.

Postby croucheK on Mon Mar 17, 2008 9:39 pm

Mandy Rin wrote:Do you need a reason besides WoW?

You really do, a life without good reason is like a tomato with wheels.

POINTLESS.
Dex is my evil clone!

Listen, strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony.
croucheK
The Forum Camper

Medals: 2
Expeditionary Force (1) Primordial (1)

Postby Mandy Rin on Tue Mar 18, 2008 6:48 am

A tomato with wheels has a reason - to amuse me! Plus, it's meals on wheels. Instead of throwing a tomato, you could just roll it.
Mandy Rin
SPAM® Oven Roasted Turkey

Location: In the corner, watching you and judging you like a creepy little gnome.

Postby croucheK on Tue Mar 18, 2008 7:23 am

You can roll a tomato anyway.. it's freakin' circular...
Dex is my evil clone!

Listen, strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony.
croucheK
The Forum Camper

Medals: 2
Expeditionary Force (1) Primordial (1)

Postby Op7imus_Prim3 on Tue Mar 18, 2008 9:09 am

Back to the History, I have a list of chapters.

EGG Vs Compsoc.
In which the idea of the EGG is born

EGG Vs Progsoc
I can has room?

EGG Vs Credo
"You're not a real cult until you have a T-Shirt" and also "Credo hates trees"

EGG Vs AVS
"Bah, who needs you, we have better TV's now anyway!"

EGG Vs Student Protesters
The National Day of Inaction gets publicity on JJJ. Student Protesters also hate trees.

EGG Vs Anime
Hardly a fight when the other side don't even bother to show up...

EGG Vs Every Net Cafe In Sydney
The origin of "Your Mum's Seven!"

EGG Vs Compsoc Again
You guys suck at LANs, please stop trying.

EGG Vs The Union
This is loads of separate little battles, nearly all of which have been won, even the ongoing battle for a room seems to be over now.

EGG and GameTrade
Not quite as awesome a match up as you would have thought

The Sudden Disappearance of Sniperblade
Where was he that day, and why did he not bring his Xbox?

How I Singlehandedly Saved EGG from Being a CS Club And Why Arcades Are Still Relevant
This might have had something to do with Sniper leaving...

The Joint EGG Engineering Cruise
In which we bring gaming stuff and then don't get to use it all night

The American Invasion
In which EGG gains minor celebrity and stars in many small time films

Hostile Takeover
In which Nick thinks he's usurped the throne only to realise I planned it that way otherwise he never would have taken the job...

That's pretty much where my participation in the club tapers off, so after that point you'll have to get someone else to fill in the rest.

If there are any other awesome stories you want told, write a chapter heading and a brief description and if I remember anything about it, I'll write something up.

Which story do you guys want to see told first, or should I just go in roughly chronological order?
"Your Mum's Seven!"
Op7imus_Prim3
Super Mega Powerup SPAM®

Primordial (1)

Postby Lexicographer on Tue Mar 18, 2008 10:52 am

Chronological, since you're most likely to forget the oldest stuff first.
"Tu es Petrus, et super hanc petram aedificabo ecclesiam meam"
Lexicographer
Guild Chaplain

Postby Geal'k on Tue Mar 18, 2008 6:58 pm

yea mike after all you are old
|-O-| (-O-) |-O-|

"STAY IN ATTACK FORMATION"

I.. don't.. know.. how.. to.. respond.. without..innuendo.....or..Punning
Geal'k
The Bradwarden

Medals: 6
Watchful Eye (1) They See Me Rolling (1) Student of Gygax (1) Rising Sun (1) Noise (1)
Primordial (1)

Postby Unit 00 on Wed Mar 19, 2008 12:13 am

How I Singlehandedly Saved EGG from Being a CS Club And Why Arcades Are Still Relevant
This might have had something to do with Sniper leaving...

Ahhh Sniperblade. Last time I saw him, he and whatsherface with the matching trenchcoats were being turned away from an Opeth gig at the Metro as she'd forgotten her ID.

First time I saw him he looked like he was about to jerk off at the idea that I'd walked up to the TC2 machine and challenged cK. He was a lot less thrilled when he found out that I actually knew cK and we rock out at co-op, as opposed to a random, gladiatorial-style light gun encounter.
Or, how I learned to stop worrying and love the Killbots.
Unit 00
SPAM® Hickory Smoke Flavored

Chapter 1, EGG Vs Compsoc

Postby Op7imus_Prim3 on Thu Mar 20, 2008 4:36 pm

EGG Vs Compsoc

As none of you will remember, I was once a first year representative for Compsoc. I used to walk into lectures early with my laptop and hook it into the projector setup on the lectern and have my slide up there on the screen before the lecturer arrived.
I joined up with Compsoc because I had in my head this crazy notion that they would be the kind of club that would run LAN parties. This turned out not to be the case.
During my first semester at UTS I pleaded with compsoc to run any type of gaming event, but as a social society they just weren't interested. They would much rather have an event where 50 guys and 4 girls show up and all the guys stand around with book bags covering their crotches looking awkward while I man the BBQ because no one else can figure out how to apply heat to a sausage in order to eat it without getting sick. (except maybe Andi, but he was busy)

The main problem with Compsoc was I didn't much like the way Andi ran it, and he didn't much like the fact that I was telling him what to do, so this is pretty much how EGG started.

I got together with Good George, who was also doing my degree (which happens to have nothing to do with computers) and we had a meeting with Chris somebodyorother who gave some vague info about how to set up as a club.
After this we met with David Redden who told us we couldn't be called the Electronic Gaming Guild as this had bad connotations with gaming in the gambling sense, hence the name Electronic Gamers Guild. That, and it makes for a cool acronym and and easy logo.

So some time in August we had our first AGM. After putting up the posters we got a fair amount of interest. Sniperblade and cK were pretty much the first two guys to offer to help out, along with Lago. I think Lei might even have been at the first AGM, it was ages ago and I really can't remember, I'd have to go and find the minutes of who was present. (somebody remind me to do this, it'll be funny, I promise)

So after we'd got 25 members signed up, and a constitution sworn in, we went back to David Redden and got affiliated as a Catogory 1 club, which basically meant we could get a stall at O'day. Originally we weren't going to get one as we missed the cutoff date, but I managed to talk David into getting us one, which worked out really well, as we managed to get about 80 members and walk away with about $900 in cash from our first ever O'day. We still have the photos around somewhere, I'll have to go and dig them out.

Where was I? Oh yeah, by this stage Compsoc still sucked, but we didn't really care as we'd formed our own club. We still tried to run joint events with them, because the idea was that we'd take them over from the inside and then have our own room where we could run servers and store gear and hang out. This never happened, but it was always an idea that got kicked around about the same time every year when Compsoc had their AGM.
We even thought about doing it with Progsoc because they had a bigger room, but Progsoc has had the same guys run it for the past 15 years or something, so that was going to be a bit harder. Turns out they had no interest in running LANs or helping us host servers either. And BIG are just a joke, so we never even bothered talking to them.

The EGG Vs Compsoc thing really came to a head when Microsoft invited them to MS headquarters to have an Xbox Party. Given we never got an invite from Xbox to hold a party (EGG Vs Xbox is a whole other chapter I forgot about, but will also need to be written) we decided we would all join Compsoc and then gate crash it.
So Sniper and I turned up wearing 2 of the first ever EGG shirts and cornered the Microsoft rep until he gave us a business card and promised us a meeting. We got some pretty good loot out of MS over the years, but boy did we ever have a hard time getting it.

EGG and compsoc never really got along until Andi left. We tried to get along while Roz was running it, because lets face it, she has breasts, but we never really did much.
When Jezza took over and Andi dissapeared we ended actually working together (Jezza also has breasts btw). One of the most successful joint events we had was the chillout party, and that was probably because none of you fags bothered to show up. I was DJing and got free drinks and played all my favourite music and snapped some chick's R&B CD in half when she wanted to make a request, so I was having a fucking ball, but now we've skipped way to far into the future (but at least I'm kind of on topic).

That's pretty much it for EGG Vs Compsoc, except for the time where we invaded one of their trivia nights, ended up with a whole 5m diameter round table full of empty beer bottles and Microsoft prizes, and Josh called Roz the President of CockSuck.
Those were the good old days.
"Your Mum's Seven!"
Op7imus_Prim3
Super Mega Powerup SPAM®

Primordial (1)

Postby Op7imus_Prim3 on Thu Mar 20, 2008 4:41 pm

Oh man, I just realised this is the internet and the people mentioned aren't exactly dead yet.
The fallout from this should be good...
"Your Mum's Seven!"
Op7imus_Prim3
Super Mega Powerup SPAM®

Primordial (1)

Postby Geal'k on Thu Mar 20, 2008 8:14 pm

I remember most of those if not first hand then being told just after it happened
|-O-| (-O-) |-O-|

"STAY IN ATTACK FORMATION"

I.. don't.. know.. how.. to.. respond.. without..innuendo.....or..Punning
Geal'k
The Bradwarden

Medals: 6
Watchful Eye (1) They See Me Rolling (1) Student of Gygax (1) Rising Sun (1) Noise (1)
Primordial (1)

PreviousNext

Return to Housekeeping