History of EGG

Rules & Regs, new member intros, membership cards, EGG merchandise, sponsors, etc...

Re: Re:

Postby lycurgus on Wed Mar 25, 2009 9:29 pm

Lexicographer wrote:completion

wouldn't a "history" be ongoing? and, as such, wouldn't the only way to end said history be to bring to closure the entity it was chronicling?

if i understand correctly, it seems you're asking for OP to shut down EGG. i'm very lost.
for the forseeable future we remain prisoners of the present
la fin du monde n'a pas de sentiments
lycurgus
Super Mega Powerup SPAM®

Location: Digging up graves at an ancient werewolf burial ground
Medals: 30
Advocate (1) Pyramid Schemer (1) Quartermaster (1) Lieutenant (1) Watchful Eye (1)
Builder (1) We Can Rebuild It (1) Assembler (1) Dissembler (1) Consoler (1)

Re: History of EGG

Postby Lexicographer on Thu Mar 26, 2009 8:59 am

Way to quote one word and fail to understand even that.

Calling for the completion of a thread about the genesis of EGG does not call for the dissolution of the guild. A page or two back O_P listed his intended series of posts about the initial dramas (such as the ongoing battle with AV department and kicking Compsoc up the arse), but did not manage to complete the series.
"Tu es Petrus, et super hanc petram aedificabo ecclesiam meam"
Lexicographer
Guild Chaplain

Postby lycurgus on Thu Mar 26, 2009 10:29 am

indeed. i haven't actually read this thread in its entirety, so didn't see the intended posts list - but since it is called "History of EGG" and you wanted it finished, my witty extrapolation was that you wanted EGG's history (and by further wit and extrapolation, the guild itself) finished. it was meant to be a joke - a bad one, yes, but a joke nonetheless.
for the forseeable future we remain prisoners of the present
la fin du monde n'a pas de sentiments
lycurgus
Super Mega Powerup SPAM®

Location: Digging up graves at an ancient werewolf burial ground
Medals: 30
Advocate (1) Pyramid Schemer (1) Quartermaster (1) Lieutenant (1) Watchful Eye (1)

EGG Vs Credo

Postby Op7imus_Prim3 on Thu Mar 26, 2009 11:31 am

EGG Vs Credo
"You're not a real cult until you have a T-Shirt" and also "Credo hates trees"

The idea for the EGG T-shirt came from the original Credo T-shirt. They all used to walk around trying to get me to go into a room and talk to a magical fairy in the sky with them. Somehow if we all talked to the magical fairy at once good stuff was meant to happen. Credo not only used to walk around trying to convince people of this, they also put posters up everywhere you could possibly put up a poster in UTS and then some.
How they got the money to deforest a small nation and then stick it to the walls of UTS is somewhat beyond me, but I think they have external financial backing.
Getting back to the T-shirt.
The first AGM we had I came up with some witty slogans and posted them around. I think one of then was "The second most exercise your hand will get all week". This is when I still had aspirations of doing more arcade stuff. Joysticks are penises don't forget (This leads to the story of the X-Arcade and how it became a Dildo Rack, but that is for another time).
The other slogan was "You're not a real cult unless you have a T-shirt." This was aimed squarely at Credo, because as you may or may not know, I am an Atheist. Therefore I view most organised religions where they pray to magical sky fairies as cults. And as most people had already realised I was setting up EGG mainly for my own personal amusement and benefit, it too was pretty much a cult. The cult of 1337.
Hence our shirt design.
The original Credo shirts had "Got issues?" written on them. I would tend to agree that most people in Credo probably did have issues. Who doesn't? In response to that, I created the "Got 1337?" shirts. Because everyone in EGG at the time did.
The shirts were a huge success (I ended up with about 5) and even people outside of the Uni ended up buying them.
As to why they have the GameTrade logo on the back, well, that is another chapter.

In regards to EGG Vs Credo I don't think we ever really got into any brawls, mostly thanks to cK being an arbitrator. We used to lend them stuff so they could play games while talking about sky fairies. I don't know if we still do.
We did a joint event with them once that went pretty well. Other than that I didn't have a lot to do with them for pretty obvious reasons, the least of which was because they hate trees.
For more on hating trees, wait until the chapter on the National Day of Inaction.
"Your Mum's Seven!"
Op7imus_Prim3
Super Mega Powerup SPAM®

Medals: 1
Primordial (1)

Postby Lexicographer on Thu Mar 26, 2009 12:00 pm

Funny what you say about "cults", since strictly speaking the label is perfectly applicable to a club whose purpose is to feed the ego of its founder.

"Cult" comes from the Latin "cultus", which means a "following" or "devotion". It originally referred to the veneration of animæ (spirit-deities in pre-Hellenised Rome) and then predominantly to the veneration of Saints by Christians (due to their lives of extraordinary holiness).

Granted, EGG doesn't consider our founder to be either a local anima nor a particularly holy person by any stretch of the meaning, but even now we sustain a certain devotion.

I guess could call this "Cultus Ovæ".

Edit: How fitting. After all these years, I hit 666 posts by comparing the Cult of the Egg to actual religion.
Lexicographer
Guild Chaplain

Postby Op7imus_Prim3 on Thu Mar 26, 2009 1:18 pm

Lexicographer wrote:Funny what you say about "cults", since strictly speaking the label is perfectly applicable to a club whose purpose is to feed the ego of its founder.

Way to read my post and then paraphrase exactly what a said. Good job Lex, whatever would we do without you :?:
"Your Mum's Seven!"
Op7imus_Prim3
Super Mega Powerup SPAM®

Medals: 1
Primordial (1)

Re: EGG Vs Credo

Postby Medusa on Thu Mar 26, 2009 8:36 pm

Op7imus_Prim3 wrote:The original Credo shirts had "Got issues?" written on them. I would tend to agree that most people in Credo probably did have issues

Generally when adults have invisible friends who loves them and stuff I would medically declare them unfit for mainstream society. I agree with you on that one.
" be the one to bring the light of civilisation" - Morgan on my current enrolment in UWS
Medusa
Emo spam kid.

Medals: 4
Pants Not Optional (1) Avast! (1) IRC Lurker (1) Noise (1)

Postby Lexicographer on Thu Mar 26, 2009 9:10 pm

Medusa wrote:Generally when adults have invisible friends who loves them and stuff I would medically declare them unfit for mainstream society. I agree with you on that one.

Not even actual medical doctors have the authority to make that kind of declaration. Especially when you consider the case of that John Nash fellow.
Lexicographer
Guild Chaplain

Postby Wayfinder on Thu Mar 26, 2009 9:39 pm

Lexicographer wrote:
Medusa wrote:Generally when adults have invisible friends who loves them and stuff I would medically declare them unfit for mainstream society. I agree with you on that one.

Not even actual medical doctors have the authority to make that kind of declaration. Especially when you consider the case of that John Nash fellow.

Here (not sure about the US, where John Nash was treated), psychiatrists can indeed make such a declaration.

Of course, the authority to do this has to be backed by a court - so new treatment orders are naturally subject to approval/review by a magistrate, with a mental health advocate solicitor challenging the order if necessary. The longest an order can go for without review ATM is six months (and that's quite rare) - so there's not really such a thing as permanent lockup per se.

CTOs (where they let the person go, subject to being given a huge injection by a burly nurse once a week or so) are far more common these days.
"It's a boot," says Cheryl, "in space."
The robot lions charge together. They form a giant robot. This is the glorious stock footage that is Voltron.
Vladimir rubs at his chin. There is the sparkling in his mind again. "We should add lasers."
"Heat-seeking lasers!"
"They laughed at us in engineering class," says Vladimir. "But now the engineering department is in ruins - we may build as we see fit."
Thunder crashes all around them.
Wayfinder
Tall, Dark and Handsome

Location: Ultra Secret Hidden Underground Space Station Laboratory In Space
Medals: 35
Advocate (1) Matériel Assistance (1) President (2) Lieutenant (1) Watchful Eye (1)

Postby Geal'k on Thu Mar 26, 2009 9:42 pm

Wayfinder wrote:given a huge injection by a burly nurse

this sounds like something beani needs to know about.....unless of course its because your poor and you need the internet revinue
|-O-| (-O-) |-O-|

"STAY IN ATTACK FORMATION"

I.. don't.. know.. how.. to.. respond.. without..innuendo.....or..Punning
Geal'k
The Bradwarden

Medals: 6
Watchful Eye (1) They See Me Rolling (1) Student of Gygax (1) Rising Sun (1) Noise (1)
Primordial (1)

Postby Wayfinder on Thu Mar 26, 2009 9:49 pm

~*♥*~Geale~*♥*~ wrote:
Wayfinder wrote:given a huge injection by a burly nurse

this sounds like something beani needs to know about.....unless of course its because your poor and you need the internet revinue

Ha HA, wishful thinking.

(Though with sufficient interest * US$29.95 per three days, I might be convinced to find and subcontract a substitute.)
"It's a boot," says Cheryl, "in space."
The robot lions charge together. They form a giant robot. This is the glorious stock footage that is Voltron.
Vladimir rubs at his chin. There is the sparkling in his mind again. "We should add lasers."
"Heat-seeking lasers!"
"They laughed at us in engineering class," says Vladimir. "But now the engineering department is in ruins - we may build as we see fit."
Thunder crashes all around them.
Wayfinder
Tall, Dark and Handsome

Location: Ultra Secret Hidden Underground Space Station Laboratory In Space
Medals: 35
Advocate (1) Matériel Assistance (1) President (2) Lieutenant (1) Watchful Eye (1)

Postby Medusa on Thu Mar 26, 2009 11:54 pm

Lexicographer wrote:

That my friend, is where the magistrate comes in. For more information see the NSW Mental Health ACT 2007 No8, Chapter 3 - Involuntary Admissions Part 1 and 2. In particular Part 2 Division 19 in regards to ınvoluntary detention on the grounds of medical certification (or something, can't remember the full details).
" be the one to bring the light of civilisation" - Morgan on my current enrolment in UWS
Medusa
Emo spam kid.

Postby Lexicographer on Fri Mar 27, 2009 9:03 am

Wait, now you want to be a magistrate?

o.O
Lexicographer
Guild Chaplain

Postby Medusa on Fri Mar 27, 2009 9:45 am

I had to do this in laws and ethics for medicine. I can't believe the subject came in handy!
Medusa
Emo spam kid.

Postby Sleet on Mon May 04, 2009 9:15 pm

A bit late but...

Medusa wrote:I had to do this in laws and ethics for medicine. I can't believe the subject came in handy!

What? Unlike the rest of your course?
Sleet
The World Ends With Sleet

Medals: 2
Originator (1) IRC Lurker (1)

PreviousNext

Return to Housekeeping