[DnD 5e] Curse of the Black Pearls.

Everything non-electronic including tabletop, roleplaying, board, card, et cetera.
Lightning Bolt! Lightening Bolt!

Moderators: rel715, Geal'k

[DnD 5e] Curse of the Black Pearls.

Postby Aegeri on Sun Oct 05, 2014 9:51 am

Curse of the Black Pearls

A DnD 5E Campaign set in the Lhazaar Principalities of Eberron.

This piece of awesome Eberron art by Wayne Reynolds might be a rather prophetic image.

So this is the recruitment thread for my 5e mini-campaign game Curse of the Black Pearls. What I mean by a mini-campaign is that up front, this game goes from levels 4 to 6, so there is a defined start and end. Should things go really well, I might make this a full proper game that I run into the conceivable future, but for now I'm planning on it lasting about 4-5 sessions (weeks). I do have a plot that could go further than that though, but we'll see what happens. Here are the starting details before I get into the delicious nitty gritty.

Starting Level: We start at level 4.

Character Creation: After some consideration, I've decided to go with the point buy system to produce consistent characters. You have 27 points to spend across your stats.

Allowed Options: Most everything is fine in this game and I have no problem with any whacky races, classes or similar. Drow do not have any sunlight aversion or similar nonsense having had a fair amount of time to adjust to the surface world in Eberron (where they are native to a continent far to the South called Xendrick). The game is set in the Lhazaar Principalities in Eberron and will have a very distinct piracy theme to it.

You'll all start at level 4 and have (IIRC) 1700 GP to spend on your characters equipment and items according to the equipment lists in the basic rules (Or 5e PHB) if you have it. Potions are limited to 3 per character per type, because the local artificers frankly can't make much more than that on demand.

Concept: The is a piracy campaign based in the Lhazaar Principalities in Eberron. There will be a fair deal of stabbing things, exploring the high seas, avoiding backstabbing pirates and dealing with the various political factions. Due to the nature of the campaign being on the high seas, certain natural consequences mechanically occur from it as well.

1) Expect to get wet. You're on a ship for a good chunk of this game after the start. I heavily recommend having a background or options that make dealing with water easier for you.

2) Underwater combat will get some deserved explanation a little later on, but suffice to say I don't use a true 3D system (as it's a nightmare to do that) but it is *considerably* dangerous even without that.

Recommended Viewing/Reading: Personally I liked Mel Odom's Forgotten Realms Rising Tide trilogy. While it's not the best ever thing in the world, it's good inspiration for a piracy campaign and gives some life to the various sea critters that you might meet.

The Pirates of the Caribbean movies are also on the recommended viewing list if you haven't watched them already. The absurd stunts, some of their battles, the multiple backstabbings and the Kraken attack are all a solid basis for the feel/theme of this campaign.

Applications: I will be choosing applicants based on a points system and how well they adhere to the general requirements below. Firstly if you need to read up on Eberron, I recommend the Eberron Player's Guide. Failing that, I recommend reading this Eberron Wiki page on the Lhazaar Principalities and particularly this page on the Last War.

This game starts on Greentarn, the main island where the major principality of Regalport exists. You've been hired on as mercenary muscle to help defend a carriage heading along the coast back to the city from a small fort deeper within the island, which is known to be Prince Rygar (the ruler of Regalport) personal hideaway. The cargo is rumored to be especially important, being the Countess Fierge D'Costa from Port Verge from neighbouring Questor. A rumored arranged marriage to link the two islands and bring them closer together is on the cards, so her safety is beyond paramount.

1) I need some background information in this game, to help me establish the world and figure out how you fit into the plot (potentially). Firstly, What did you do during the last war? Were you a pirate? Did you fight in any nations navy? That sort of concept. Secondly, Why are you in the Lhazaar Principalities?. Thirdly, What is your reason for taking up the mercenary contract? You can have any other background details beyond that to your liking. If the game goes long enough, there will be sailing over quite a bit of Eberron - not just the Lhazaar Principalities. So details in other places are not just more flavor, it's directly encouraged.

2) You can be any alignment with the general rule of "Don't be a dick". I would avoid chaotic evil as an alignment in general as I can't see that fitting well into the game. Being morally ambiguous is basically a trait that is inherent to Eberron and solid in a piracy based campaign.

3) The points system. Because I want to encourage new people around at EGG as much as possible, there is a points system for peoples characters that I shall be going with that deliberately gives as much bias to people not in a game or who are new to DnD as possible.

Not playing in any DnD games? +50 points.
Not playing in any roleplaying games at EGG? +50 points.

So right there you can get a good chunk of points just for being a new player/not having another game currently. Believe me, in this context 50 points is a *lot* and will be a huge advantage.

Before moving on, this is an important campaign specific thing as it's going to come up often: Underwater Combat.

Underwater Combat

Having learned hard lessons the first time I tried doing these combats, for simplicity there isn't any "true" 3D. This is just a pain to work out, confuses me and confuses the players on a regular basis. Instead I've split a battle underwater into three distinct "planes" instead of using a true 3D movement system for simplicity (and because it just seems to play better).

Surface: This is self explanatory, but this is the surface of the water and usually where things like your boat will be. This area lets you breathe and may be subject to a weather based terrain effect.

Pelagic Zone: This is basically a fancy way of saying the water in between the surface and the sea floor (also not close to the shore either). This is the "middle" zone in any underwater combat and is basically devoid of terrain (but it can posses currents, as an example hazard).

Sea Floor: This is self explanatory, this is the bottom of the ocean!

Bear in mind that only a limited number of weapons do particularly well under water, so plan your characters appropriately.

Time: You will have probably one week to apply and then I'll spend a few days deciding upon the party. Any questions just throw them into the thread. During the application process I'll endeavor to respond to people builds and such with various suggestions/comments. Otherwise good luck! Once I have interest and can gauge what my party is and the number of players, we'll work out when we're going to play. I am running a Trail of Cthulhu game on a Sunday from 2-6 and this time is set for them, so this game will have to work around that and I cannot run a second game late into Sunday night anyway. I will say I'm intending for now for this game to last about 4-5 weeks, so I can be flexible on things like the day and time. Saturdays are probably the most convenient time for me to run this game at the moment, probably in the early afternoon (from 1pm to 5pm for example). Alternatively as I work in the city I could come in for a weeknight game as well, so from say 5:30-9:30 on a Monday/Thursday. I am not available on a Friday.
Last edited by Aegeri on Fri Nov 21, 2014 10:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Add me on PSN: Aegeri-
Currently running Trail of Cthulhu, Dungeons and Dragons 5E and Shadowrun.
Blog: The Roleplayer's Guild.
Aegeri
SPAM® Classic

Re: [DnD 5e Mini-Campaign] Curse of the Black Pearls.

Postby sexbot_lolz on Sun Oct 05, 2014 4:34 pm

OMG PIRATES!!!

Please let me play Joseph, I love your DM style :D <3
sexbot_lolz
Mook®

Postby Mytana on Mon Oct 06, 2014 12:57 am

I've not played in the Eberron setting before. Definitely interested.
I'm not evil, I'm morally ambiguous

Mytana
SPAM® Oven Roasted Turkey

Medals: 19
Pyramid Schemer (1) Treasurer (1) Secretary (1) Lieutenant (1) Assembler (1)
Dissembler (1) Consoler (1) The Promised LAN (1) Glorious PC Master Race (1) They See Me Rolling (1)

Postby Aegeri on Mon Oct 06, 2014 9:53 am

I've got most of my previous games notes/set up on Eberron and it's a very distinct "Points of Light" setting anyway (so I'll be adding 90% of the context to understand what's going on anyway). It's basically a setting where they treat magic as science and use it to build all kinds of cool things, like elementally powered flying airships and their basic naval ship would be equivalent to a steampowered boat. The only thing from the setting we don't really have so far are warforged, which are basically magically created golems used during The Last War in large numbers that now have their own independence for the most part. I might look at some other peoples efforts to include them in the game and see what they have done before adding my own option (if it is desired).

We shall see who applies and such at the moment. I'm aiming to take people who aren't playing any other games at EGG (yes, that would include my own game!) first but otherwise I would be happy for both of you to play in this one. It's worth noting I am only going to be taking a total of four players for this campaign.
Aegeri
SPAM® Classic

Postby wavey on Mon Oct 06, 2014 11:54 am

I would very much be interested, but playing in two games currently i'd understand if you picked other people instead. Also smart moves with the potion limit, that got a bit ridiculous during the 4GM day.
I WRESTLE WITH MANLY CREATURES SUCH AS HYDRAS AND BEARS
Spoiler: show
wavey
Definitely Windy

Medals: 7
President (1) Vice-President (1) Quartermaster (1) Lieutenant (1) Glorious PC Master Race (1)
Rising Sun (1) IRC Lurker (1)

Postby Aegeri on Mon Oct 06, 2014 12:42 pm

Yeah I am aiming to encourage new people as much as I can, hence the way I've set up the rules in the OP.

The potion limit is only really a problem because of starting at the higher level. Over time it would basically even out and there isn't the demand to have hordes of potions each (because this isn't a sudden raid of a dungeon where long rests wouldn't be possible!).
Aegeri
SPAM® Classic

Postby HIGH DIFFICULTY on Tue Oct 07, 2014 1:42 pm

Im definitely interested in this campaign
I may need to create a new character, i cant see my paladin swimming very well.
Check my Difficulty
HIGH DIFFICULTY
Mook®

Postby Aegeri on Tue Oct 07, 2014 1:48 pm

That would make a lot of sense, given that plate and seawater don't interact that well.

However, I am not 100% sure if there are penalties or issues associated with heavier armors when swimming in water, unless they affect athletics checks (I would need to check individual entries).
Aegeri
SPAM® Classic

Postby Geal'k on Wed Oct 08, 2014 3:55 pm

Urge to Pirate...rising
|-O-| (-O-) |-O-|

"STAY IN ATTACK FORMATION"

I.. don't.. know.. how.. to.. respond.. without..innuendo.....or..Punning
Geal'k
The Bradwarden

Medals: 6
Watchful Eye (1) They See Me Rolling (1) Student of Gygax (1) Rising Sun (1) Noise (1)
Primordial (1)

Postby Aegeri on Wed Oct 08, 2014 4:34 pm

I have been working on naval combat rules and a crew system similar to how a great Dreamcast era JRPG Skies of Arcadia worked.

There might be a little meeting of potentially interested people for this game this Sunday as well. I'm going to be around at EGG for my usual Trail of Cthulhu game, but interested folks can be directed to have a talk to me around 12-2pm (My game goes from 2-6). I'll also be around for maybe an hour or so after the game as well if you want to talk to me about Pearls also. Once again, I'm particularly interested in taking people who are new to EGG and aren't playing in other games at the moment as a priority. So if you know anyone who fits that description (I've got a couple of people already!) then do direct them to me. Especially if you know people looking for a game who don't have one, but don't regularly check these forums or similar.
Aegeri
SPAM® Classic

Postby Zanderax on Sat Oct 18, 2014 5:11 pm

This sounds amazing! How newbie friendly is this setting?

What would you guys recommend building for a new player? I am thinking a Gnome Bard. Any advice for getting into D&D?
Zanderax
Mook®

Postby Aegeri on Sat Oct 18, 2014 7:11 pm

Hello Zanderax! This game is very new player friendly, because many of the people in it have only played a bit of DnD or are themselves really new to it. Everyone will be learning as they go along and I tend to only focus on relevant information, nobody needs or wants a history exam to play a game of DnD. In terms of making a background and such, just write what you would like and then I will help you fit it into the world.

We've got just the one slot left at this point and the party I think is mostly decided as a Cleric, Barbarian, Bard and Rogue. A wizard or someone with a casting type bend to them to complement the bard would be really good if you'd like to play something like that. If you can get into UTS tomorrow, I am around from about 12pm or so until 8pm (I run another game during this time) to have a chat about things.

Edit: I will need to consider peoples applications though, because I have quite a few people after this one spot! Also it's worth noting we've set the time when the game runs and it is from 6-9 on a Thursday night, so if that suits definitely let me know.
Aegeri
SPAM® Classic

Postby Aegeri on Tue Oct 21, 2014 11:19 pm

So I think the cutoff date for new characters will be Wednesday 29th of November (EG roughly one week before I want to start). I will decide who to take by that point, but I'll take any character concepts or similar before that point. You will need to use Facebook as well (because it is seriously handy for organizing games I've discovered).
Aegeri
SPAM® Classic

Postby Aegeri on Sun Nov 02, 2014 11:12 am

Applications are closed and this game is now full. Thanks for all the interest people showed in my game and hopefully there will be some new ones starting soon!
Aegeri
SPAM® Classic

Re: [DnD 5e] Curse of the Black Pearls.

Postby Aegeri on Fri Nov 21, 2014 11:27 am

I have been fairly good (for once) in writing up how my games have actually been going for those interested in following along.

Description of the first session.

Description of the second session.

Description of the third session (just this week).
Aegeri
SPAM® Classic

Next

Return to Non-Electronic Games