History of EGG

Rules & Regs, new member intros, membership cards, EGG merchandise, sponsors, etc...

History of EGG

Postby croucheK on Mon Mar 10, 2008 6:38 pm

This post was split from the New Member Introduction Thread after a discussion of the club's history arose. Feel free to add to the chronicles. Avoid outright lies. Bonus points for epic anecdotes or epic tone in general.
-Wayfinder

Mandy Rin wrote:And who are the founding fathers? I feel as though I should write this down somewhere, like a history lesson.

Somewhere in the distance a Bard plucks slowely at a Lute...
Ye want to know of the days of yore,
When men were Men and Video Games were conquered with fists and steel?

A long forgotten era, my son! A time which few remember, and of which fewer still will speak!
I shall speak, and you shall listen closely to my tale, and tell it with a hushed awe to your grandchildren to come!

In the time before the "three-six-oh", a time before wireless controllers roamed the land in plain sight, there came a man!
One man, with the VISION to stand up!
This man was a beacon, a shining pillar in the darkness of these hallowed halls of knowledge.

His name be Michael, and his game be plenty. He brought forth the EGG, with his brothers in virtual-arms: Sniperblade, Good George, Bad George, Alex and Lagomorph.
The Original Exec was a sight to behold, a cohesive group formed by eons of close friendships.

They held a meeting, the first AGM.
Present at this meeting where myself, Migs, Rjay, Chuggy, Stramit, and many others who's faces sadly the march of time has worn away.

From there, recruits were to be found in other areas, I myself brought in Unit 00, who brought along ~*♥*~Geale~*♥*~. Sniperblade attracted Kracken.
Dex just appeared one day like an avatar of the Gaming Gods.

What you know now as Friday Consoles started as a way for Me, Migs and Rjay to play some MvC/SC on the dreamcast on fridays after Maths using AVS TVs and Projectors.
LAN parties were ever Michael's master plan, so He and Sniperblade went forth to hunt down Sponsorship, and, when they sometimes came back empty handed, used capital grant magic to acquire network gear.

The atrocity of 'NEGG', otherwise known as the 'Haters Heresy' began much later as an Aside when the armies of Rel and Wil got sick of Michael telling them to get their filthy RPGing off his General Forum.

Of the "Founding Fathers", I believe only Mike is still around. Most of the rest have moved on, I'm still a ways away thanks to my travels in heathen lands, but I will return to UTS next year.

And yeah... Generation Two of the Exec I don't much know. The exec was pretty much US until I left for Germany (start 2006), and I don't know the exact history after that...

FORSOOTH, The Storymaster has spoken!
Let he who is with a better memory or physical proof cast the first stone at my tale!
Last edited by croucheK on Mon Mar 10, 2008 6:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dex is my evil clone!

Listen, strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony.
croucheK
The Forum Camper

Medals: 2
Expeditionary Force (1) Primordial (1)

Postby croucheK on Mon Mar 10, 2008 6:43 pm

Lol, someone moved my post...

[i]This post was split from the New Member Introduction Thread after a discussion of the club's history arose. Feel free to add to the chronicles. Avoid outright lies. Bonus points for epic anecdotes or epic tone in general.
-Wayfinder

Oh man, I'm gonna have to EDIT THIS UP!
Last edited by croucheK on Mon Mar 10, 2008 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dex is my evil clone!

Listen, strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony.
croucheK
The Forum Camper

Postby Wayfinder on Mon Mar 10, 2008 6:45 pm

croucheK wrote:Lol, someone moved my post :(

'twas me! I thought this was interesting enough to warrant a sticky of its own.
"It's a boot," says Cheryl, "in space."
The robot lions charge together. They form a giant robot. This is the glorious stock footage that is Voltron.
Vladimir rubs at his chin. There is the sparkling in his mind again. "We should add lasers."
"Heat-seeking lasers!"
"They laughed at us in engineering class," says Vladimir. "But now the engineering department is in ruins - we may build as we see fit."
Thunder crashes all around them.
Wayfinder
Tall, Dark and Handsome

Location: Ultra Secret Hidden Underground Space Station Laboratory In Space
Medals: 35
Advocate (1) Matériel Assistance (1) President (2) Lieutenant (1) Watchful Eye (1)
Builder (1) We Can Rebuild It (1) Assembler (1) Dissembler (1) Consoler (1)

Postby Sophismata on Mon Mar 10, 2008 6:50 pm

I agree. It is important to know our roots.

The only thing men learn from history, is that men never learn anything from history.
Sophismata
Casually deleting your opinion.

Medals: 8
Matériel Assistance (1) Vice-President (1) Lieutenant (1) The Promised LAN (1) Glorious PC Master Race (1)
They See Me Rolling (1) Rising Sun (1) True Bro (1)

Postby The Impaler on Mon Mar 10, 2008 7:02 pm

we should have the history made up so that we could sing it to the tune of 'greatest song in the world'

... and we said NAY... we are but EGG!
Tetris (as an allegory to the Soviet people)- everyone is an unindividualistic block that must be made to fit together in Soviet conformity, and sometimes whole lines of people are made to disappear without any explanation

~*♥*~Geale~*♥*~: we had a cat named Schrödinger for a while but some smart arse put him in a box....and he was never seen again
The Impaler
Excuse: Soul Cal 4

Assembler (1) Dissembler (1) Consoler (1) Expeditionary Force (1) Pants Not Optional (1)
Rising Sun (1) Avast! (1) IRC Lurker (1)

Postby croucheK on Mon Mar 10, 2008 7:06 pm

Fixed it up, I'm going to have to apologise to Rel, Wil, and all the asian dudes who were there near the beginning, and who's exact timing i've forgotten. I know Ichan, Bob, Ecca and a few others were either there near/at the beginning.
Wil and Dex joined with the O-day in Feb 2004, Their first year. I think Selphie came in around there too..
Wil and Dex got props and rememberances for being the only new members to come with us for our Inaugural Arcade Crawl after the O-day stall was packed up.

Exact start dates for the club, I couldn't tell you. The forum went online 3rd November 2003, from there I extrapolate that the club started in either August or September 2003.

I still remember the first posters that Mike and Sniper hung around the whole Building 1 leading up to the first AGM:
"EGG: The second most exercise your hand will get all week!"
Dex is my evil clone!

croucheK
The Forum Camper

Postby Sleet on Tue Mar 11, 2008 8:02 am

http://www.animesydney.org/forum/index.php/topic,5166.0.html

You could cross-reference it with the anime club's history (as written by hodlum). Chapter 3 is all about EGG from what I remember.
Sleet
The World Ends With Sleet

Originator (1) IRC Lurker (1)

Postby croucheK on Tue Mar 11, 2008 8:22 am

Just had a read of that.. It's highly um... Biased :/

Also doesn't have much to do with anything. The whole Sniper/Kracken thing came in after the founding of EGG, and once they'd solidified their relationship they both disappeared off the radar of both clubs.

Really the only thing of relevance is after Sniper and Kracken left, I became the Vice President ^_^ Till I got voted out at the start of 2005 when I was leaving Aus for Germany.
Dex is my evil clone!

croucheK
The Forum Camper

Postby Lexicographer on Tue Mar 11, 2008 9:06 am

I made First Contact at oday 2004 (same day as Dex et al) and formally joined at Consoles the next week. Or barbecue, or something. I think it was the barbecue. When I asked why EGG was having a Barbecue, Mike (Optimus_Prime) responded with "because the union pays".

Eric Cheng (ecca|) joined before the end of 2003 I believe, or perhaps during the 2004 O-cycle, and after much to-and-froing with UTS and elseplace he is still around, finishing his BScIT.

Sniper and Kracken pissed off to study law at some non-university institution together, dropped and and eventually did...I don't know what. I am still in verrry sporadic contact with Kracken (fine girl that she is), but Sniper I have seen only once by running into them both in Pitt St Mall earlier this year.
"Tu es Petrus, et super hanc petram aedificabo ecclesiam meam"
Lexicographer
Guild Chaplain

Postby Mandy Rin on Tue Mar 11, 2008 12:17 pm

Sleet wrote:You could cross-reference it with the anime club's history (as written by hodlum). Chapter 3 is all about EGG from what I remember.

I read chapter three - twas epic. I can't wait for the movie adaptation!
Mandy Rin
SPAM® Oven Roasted Turkey

Location: In the corner, watching you and judging you like a creepy little gnome.

Postby croucheK on Tue Mar 11, 2008 7:25 pm

Just watch the Matrix, and replace the Agents with raving-ass anime club execs, and thats it.

Sniper - Neo
Kracken - Trinity
Morpheus - Mike

Done.
Dex is my evil clone!

croucheK
The Forum Camper

Postby Lexicographer on Tue Mar 11, 2008 9:04 pm

The Matrix, The Matrix: Reloaded, The Matrix: Revolution, or The Matrix: Revision?
Lexicographer
Guild Chaplain

Postby Sophismata on Tue Mar 11, 2008 9:38 pm

There are other Matrix movies?
HIRO PROTAGONIST
Last of the freelance hackers
Greatest sword fighter in the world
Stringer, Central Intelligence Corporation
Specializing in software-related intel
(music, movies & microcode)
Sophismata
Casually deleting your opinion.

Matériel Assistance (1) Vice-President (1) Lieutenant (1) The Promised LAN (1) Glorious PC Master Race (1)
They See Me Rolling (1) Rising Sun (1) True Bro (1)

Postby Snipes on Tue Mar 11, 2008 10:05 pm

Maybe the others were meant to be forgotten??
Snipes
SPAM® Hot& Spicy (Limited Edition)

Medals: 18
Advocate (1) Lieutenant (1) Assembler (1) Dissembler (1) Consoler (1)
They See Me Rolling (1) IRC Lurker (1) Enter the Grid (1) Grid Grinder (10)

Postby Lexicographer on Tue Mar 11, 2008 11:17 pm

I sort of intended "Revision" to be an allusion to first year maths. >.>
Lexicographer
Guild Chaplain

Next

Return to Housekeeping